AEU AssemblySince its founding in 1889, the American Ethical Union has organized national assemblies where we meet to learn, connect, and share about growing a more caring and humane world. Each Assembly includes:
- Social justice theme based on our Ethical Action
- Ethical Action project with surrounding community
- Workshops on AEU organizational development
- Workshops and Keynote Program on a social justice theme
- Anna Garlin Spencer Volunteer Award Luncheon
- Elliott-Black Award Ceremony & Dinner
- Platform and colloquies in the mornings
- Receptions and entertainment in the evenings
- Business meetings and committee meetings
Lay Leadership Summer SchoolThe AEU Lay Leadership Summer School was created in 1996 to promote the evolution of Ethical Culture so that members and Societies can flourish and grow. The week-long program provides opportunities for dedicated members to work toward better relationships, share ideas and ideals, broaden inter-Society connections, and have fun.
Our program day begins at 9am and ends at 9pm, with breaks and optional early morning, mid and late day activities. Ethical Culture talks focus on our religious, philosophical, and organizational history. Organizational development presentations and practice sessions strengthen your interpersonal and leadership skills. Our program helps participants:
- understand organizational dynamics and the stages of community development ;
- become more creative and effective agents for positive change;
- practice leadership skills in small-group settings;
- deepen their understanding of and ability to communicate the history, ideas and development of Ethical Culture;
- build Ethical Societies faithful to our tradition yet flexible enough to meet the challenges of the present and future;
- experiment with creating authentic and inspiring ceremonies;
- reflect on their ethical journeys and nurture personal growth within Ethical Culture; and
- hone skills in decision-making, group facilitation, and discernment.
Our next Lay Leadership Summer School will be in 2018
AEU Skills SummitShare skills, best practices, ideas, and questions about improving your Society’s Communications, Ethical Education, and Membership. Learn about what the AEU offers Societies and develop a supportive network of members.
Youth of Ethical Societies ConferenceThe Youth of Ethical Societies (YES) Conference brings together teens from Ethical Societies across the country. Open to teens in grades 9-12, the conference provides an opportunity to meet with other humanist youth to discuss our place in the world, issues that affect us, and how we can be a part of important solutions. Together we enjoy a full weekend of discussion, play, brainstorming, performance, ceremonies, campfires, and bonding. Each conference revolves around a theme.
Most recent YES Conferences:Nov. 11-13, 2016
Nov. 13-15, 2015
Nov. 14-16, 2014
Nov. 7-10, 2013
Nov. 8-11, 2012
Nov. 10-13, 2011
Nov. 11-14, 2010
Nov. 12-15, 2009
Oct. 30-Nov. 2, 2008Washington D.C.
New York City
New York City
New YorkEthics in Education
Race in Modern America
Ethics in Science & Medicine
The Morality of Money
Instinctive Human Rights
Personal Identity and Image
Future of Ethical Societies ConferenceThe Future of Ethical Societies (FES) Conference is held during Memorial Day Weekend near an Ethical Society. Young humanists (18-35 years old, members and friends of FES) come together to discuss ethical issues, engage in a service project, prepare a platform for the local Ethical Society, and establish deep connections and friendships with one another.
- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Our Community
- Events & News