Submitted and Passed by National Leaders Council and AEU Board in March 1998
The National Leaders Council of the American Ethical Union assembled at the Warwick, New York, Conference Center, March 18-21 1998, and the American Ethical Union call upon the United States Congress to affirm:
- the nation’s crucial obligation to provide the United Nations with our agreed upon share of its budget; and to make these payments and all outstanding debts forthwith.
- the duty of the House and Senate Foreign Relations Committees to affirm our
commitment to the purposes of the United Nations which we helped to found in order to
liberate humankind from the “scourge of war” (Preamble of the Charter of the United
- the need to support the various arms of the United Nations such as care for refugees the world over; the World Health Organization; the maintaining of peacekeeping forces; to finance UNICEF so as to save millions of children from dying of disease and starvation; and so forth and so on.
- the need to assist in educational programs with which to counteract the growing xenophobic anti-UN propaganda in significant groupings in this country which fear the United Nations and have come to see it as a “conspiracy”.
- the multiple ways in which our nation’s interests have been and are served by our active participation in the United Nations and our involvement in promoting peaceful relations and care for human betterment in the world community.